Saturday, June 11, 2011

SERENE FRIDAY EVENING

Hubby and son left for Scout camp.  Home with all my little girls as they waterfight outside.  Beautiful sunny day.  Not too hot and not too cold.  I'm in my kitchen cooking.  The usual chicken soup, with potatoes and baking a cake for dessert.  For the life of me, I couldn't remember the last time I felt at peace within my own kitchen.  Like this is where I belong and that cooking and cleaning is my true calling in life.  No one to bother me.  Everyone outside playing and parents resting downstairs and two aunts are in their room doing their own thing.  I have to cook to feed the old beloved folks residing with me and my girls. 

Memories of being a stay-at-home mom warmed me.  Once a long time ago when I was not distracted by the necessity of being a working mother.  When my days were 100% dedicated to the needs of my children and the everyday chores of a stay home mom.  When breakfast was ready on the table every morning and dinner was right on time every evening.  Now, trying to balance my family and work just seems impossible to do.  Not enough time for everything that I need to do.  And not enought energy to do it.

My mind was at peace as I truly enjoy an evening alone, cleaning and cooking in my plain yet warm kitchen.  At the same time, doing the laundry.  So true how a mother's work is never done.  "A father works from sun up to sun down but a mother's work is never done."  I wanted dinner to be ready, so when my children are done playing, they can come hungry and devour every delicious piece of food down to the last crump.  Again, I don't remember the last time I cook dinner awaiting my children to come in and eat.  Lately, it's been cooking and then running off somewhere and have the children come in the kitchen and serving themselves.  I do miss being a stay home mom but a woman's gotta do what a woman's gotta do.  

After dinner, the children walked their friends home and I came for a musical session with Betty Hutton.  She is an amazing singer.  Goodness but I've never seen singing at its best by Betty Hutton.   I need to do this more often.  Life is so busy with so many things to do and places to go.   A little time out for oneself is good for the soul.  So refreshing and rejuvenating.

No comments:

Post a Comment