Monday, August 8, 2011

NEVER GIVE UP

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."  Samuel Beckett

I scanned the results over and over again wanting to see a different outcome only to be assured otherwise.  Each time with groaning disappointment.  Not even placed on the top ten!  Once again, to my great dismay, another failure.  I entered her in the recording competition feeling so sure that even if she didn't win, she can at least be on the top 10.  Not even that.  Slowly shook my head in sinking disbelief wondering if it's only me that can see the magnificent talent my daughter Sisilia  has.  Are they deaf? 

Well, what is one more failure anyway?   Didn't Thomas Edison fail a thousand times in developing the light bulb?  Bethoven was called "hopeless as a composer" by one of his music teachers.  Albert Einstein was labelled as being "mentally slow"  by one teacher and Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team and the list goes on and on and on......Henry Ford, Darwin, Freud, Dr. Seuss's first book was rejected 27 times.  How about Stephanie Myers?  Rejection, dejection and yet they made that come back over and over again.   They did not give up. 

Dare I give up?  No way in hell I'm giving up.  I like failing almost a little too much, because it just fuels the fire to make a come back again and again.  For a brief moment, I tolerate disappointment.   Only for a brief moment.  Then determination and persistent take their places once again and I'm refueled, refined and ready to go at it AGAIN.  I only hope my daughter won't be defeated so easily.  Ater all, she is her mother's daughter and I have developed an immune system that steels out the stings of failure. 

Another day, another chance, another opportunity.  As Winston Churchill puts it,  "Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never, Never, Never, Never give up."

No comments:

Post a Comment