Friday, August 19, 2011

What School Shopping?

A few days ago one of my daughters inquired, "So mom, when are we going to go school shopping.  School is next week you know?.  Overhearing the question, my oldest son Leveni, having visited, turned to her with an incredulous look on his face,
"What school shopping?  We never had school shopping when we were little." 
My first set of children always think that the second set of children gets it easier then them when they were growing up.
"Mom, you never let us talk like that!"
"You guys are spoiling these kids."
"Are you going to let them get away with that?"
"This is messed up, you guys never let us do that when we were kids."  And it goes on and on.  How we were harsher, firmer, more discipline with them.  It makes me laugh out loud all the time.  What do they expect?  We were just greenies as parents, therefore, panicky, nervous and over protective.  It was our first experiences and we really didn't know what we were doing.  Plus we were broker (yes broker). 
So we still are broke but I can manage to squeeze in a pair of pants and shirts or two for each of the younger kids.  And not from the DI either.  Only from the CLEARANCE racks at certain stores.  Affordable ones that is.  (I make it a rule never to pay full price for anything)  At least for the first 2 days of school that is.
Mahonrai on the other hand, doesn't care less whether he gets anything new, as long as it's wearable and decent to school.  Then I heard a response from my youngest, Beverly, "Kelly and Emily goes school shopping, why can't we?"  Then another daughter said "I demand school shopping!  Nothing fits me anymore!" 
On Facebook I read a comment that says something like "You know you're a Tongan when you don't go school shopping."  Why break the tradition?  Plus we truly can't afford school shopping.  I always have to remind the children, "You guys should be grateful you still have clothes on your backs.  Look at those poor children in Africa!  They're starving and are naked"  This should produce enough guilt within them not to demand so much. 
Then I hear another one whines, "But we are not in Africa or Tonga, we are in America!"  Greeeaaat.  America where we have to pay rent, utilities and gas because, unlike the small Tonga, the distance between point "A" and "B" is just too far to walk.  We have to have gas...  Then all at once the girls put up a big old fuss tattling back and forth on why they need to go school shopping.  I have to say something otherwise, they'll drive me insane with their whining.  "OK!  I yelled, I'll start my second job next week so we can have enough money to do school shopping!
on my very first pay check.  That will be Sept. 7th." 
"Whaatt, we have to wait that long for school shopping?"  I'm thinking, "You're lucky you don't have to wait 'til Chrismas for school shopping!"
"Oh but who's going to be home when we get home from school mom?"  
Well Flippity Flip, this is where I'd shrill with joy had there been two of me.  One to work and one to stay home and cook, clean, throw in laundry, kiss the owees and read good night stories without falling asleep, secure the premises, make sure there's a baseball bat or something in case intruders come and then fall into bed exhausted.  Last one to go to sleep and the first one up.  Especially when your husband plays "handicapped".  Huh.  They will get their school shopping, but not on their time.  It'll be on mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment