Sunday, October 2, 2011

Old Crow, Young Crow

Eld. Boyd K. Packer read this simple yet touching poem during General Conference.  It's the first time I've ever heard of this poem and I loved it.  Packer is my favorite member of the Twelve Apostles.

ABOUT CROWS
by John Ciardi


The old crow is getting slow;
the young crow is not.
Of what the young crow does not know,
the old crow knows a lot.
At knowing things,
the old crow is still the young crow’s master.
What does the old crow not know?
How to go faster.
The young crow flies above, below,
and ringsaround the slow old crow.
What does the fast young crow not know?
WHERE TO GO.

He read it perfectly and we (the congregation) couldn't help but laugh at how true this poem describes relationship between the Old wise ones and the Young impatience ones.   Such is my relationship with my growing children.  They think they know better then I.  In everything.  They think that I'm just an old hag who's old fashioned, fobbish and out-dated in my ways.  Little do they know that I've been down that road they're travelling many many times before.   The way is literally paved.  That I know all the tricks and traps of the way and that I can help them smooth journey through life if only they can listen and listen well.

Was I like that when I was younger?  Of course.  I thought I knew better then my parents in many ways.  However,  I still listened and obeyed most of the things that they taught me.  I only pray my children will learn their lessons but not too late. 

No comments:

Post a Comment