Friday, November 11, 2011

Diaper changing and Sleepwalkers

In horror I tried to see the end coming.  I calculated that since I've been changing diapers for 365 days of his first year I'd have 730 days more to go before he's comfortably out of diapers.  Some babies refuse to be potty trained at 2 not to mention some goes on the 10.  And it's not just one diaper per day, uh uh, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it between 7-8 times a day or more if they have the RUNS?  I shivered.

But another one came and another came and I realize I'm in knee deep, probably, up to my nose deep in s***!!  Holy horse manure, with 7 babies and about 2 to 3 years each in diapers, I was felt like crying.  But they were so adorable and cute that I didn't mind it, even though at times, it was so vile and foul I felt like throwing a tantrum!  At least have the decency to produce pleasant smelling turd.  These kids better be good to me when I'm old.

Am I being punished for having too much fun?  ( And I won't go into detail in that area if you get my drift).  Really,  I didn't see the end coming.  But I sucked it up, like everyone loving mom, smile and remembered that  diaper changing is suppose to be a bonding moment of coooing, awwhing, oh you're so adorable baby, mommy loves you baby, unless they decide to squirt in your hands or face, which always happens with newborn babies. 

Now, my youngest in 10 years old and yes, hip hip hooray, we're over the diaper changing stages.  Have been for many years now and I definitely don't miss it.  However, Bev refuses to sleep in her own room.  If she does,  she pretends she sleepwalks into our in the middle of the night, or she just sneaks in and make her bed on the floor by my side of the bed.  As you can imagine, I have a very pissed off and unhappy husband.  I blame myself in this.  I think I nursed her too long that she got permanently attached to my chest.  Four years of nursing her and it's a wonder my womanly instruments still exists at all. 

But I remember when my two oldest sons were toddlers and I was pregnant with our third.  Boy we did a lot of night traveling.  We lived in a two room apartment back then and they'd invade our room every single night.  Their blankets in their little hands, they'd crawled into our beds and we're all squashed in.  Having a gigantic belly did not sit well.  Then my husband and I decided we'll go to their room since they share a double bed.  Well, after a while, they're looking for us in their room.  WE come back and forth and it went on all night.  It reminded me of the Pioneer song:  "Here comes the oxcart oh how slow.  It's pulled by an ox of course you know...."  By morning,  we look like drunken oxes who's been out all night partying.

To-day, I look back and smile.  We still have a problem with Beverly but in time it'll stop.  I don't give a fig if my husband minds.  I'm not going anywhere.  When they're gone I'll still be around.  Then he'll have me all to himself.  But the silky voices of country hunks Lonestar always come to mind:

"So let them be little 'cause they're only that way for a while
Give them hope, give them praise, give them love every day
Let them cry, let them giggle, let them sleep in the middle
Oh just let them be little"


Before I didn't see the end coming  Well it has come and gone and some are grown and gone.  Yet the memories linger on.  Was it so bad?  Those diaper days and sleepwalking nights, I say not at all.  It was all so worth it.  But I won't want to do it all over again.  HE HE HE HELLL NOOO!
 

6 comments:

  1. Wait until the grand kids start rolling is, hahahahahaaaa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one stage I do not miss! We were finally over it this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True to that Kenzie. Hopefully they'll all stay at their own homes. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm I that stage now... And mine can flip over REALLY fast making it exceptionally difficult to change his diaper!!

    ReplyDelete