Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Perfect Timing

Could a minute too soon change a whole destiny?
How about a second too late?
If we could have done anything differently, would that it matter?
Is our fate or destination set?  Carved in stone?  


There have been many times where I've wished I was a second late or a minute early.  Have missed many opportunities and then live to realize I was better off missing them.  The above dilemmas was written while watching 127 Hours at the beginning of this year, on the plane during our flight to Hawaii.  It's the story of Aron Reister.

This rock... this rock has been waiting for me my entire life. It's entire life, ever since it was a bit of meteorite a million, billion years ago. In space. It's been waiting, to come here. Right, right here. I've been moving towards it my entire life. The minute I was born, every breath that I've taken, every action has been leading me to this crack on the out surface. 


It's hard to believe that a few seconds in time can create a significant or a dreadful difference in our destinies. 

A traffic ticket could have been avoided, had we weren't running late and had to rush. 
An accident would have been avoided had we went straight to our destination instead of stopping at 7-11.
An early detection of cancer could have saved her life, had she gone in for an early examination.
Had he gotten on that plane, he'd be killed on that crash.

Is timing everything?  Does every tick of the clock count?   No, I don't believe our destinies are carved in stone.  However, I do believe that timing whether perfect, late or early can make a world of a difference in each of our different destinies.  .

10 comments:

  1. So very true, amazing when you think about how much things could change if a second or two were altered.

    Thanks so much for stopping by on my SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so true, isn't it?? And a little scary. I constantly think like that, though. I can't help myself. I'll see an accident on the side of the road and wonder, "If that person had just left their house maybe 2 minutes earlier, he might have avoided that accident", etc, etc, etc.

    I still have 127 Hours on my movie queue...still haven't watched it. I really need to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much could change.

    Btw, that movie has been on my dvr for months, but I'm too much of a chicken to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so true. You never really think about it though.Popped in from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very true. I think sometimes timing is everything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting my blog. Did you see that movie several years ago, I think with Gwyneth Paltrow, about timing and what happened when a few moments were different?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post! Reminds me to focus on being in each moment...just be aware of my breath and what is happening around and within me. It's so easy to get caught up thinking we have forever.
    Also reminds me of a Darrius Rucker song called "This". My husband plays that song for me all the time....it's one of his favorites...and very true.
    Love reading your words!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to check out that song. Sounds like an interesting one.

    ReplyDelete