Sunday, December 4, 2011

All on Facebook

News travel at the speed of lightning when it comes to Facebook.  There's no easing anything in.
It's BADA BING BADA BANG BADA BOOM  and you're in for it.  You pop in for just a peek and before you know it, your mouth drops, your heart shatters and your eyeballs widened with disbelief.  News travel far and across with just a click of a mouse.  Tragedy and non-tragedy in extremities.

The other day, I popped in to catch up with the rest of the world.  Simply, because, I do get all the latest updates on Facebook, accurate or not.  Shocked to find out about Vena Finau.   A few days after, I logged in again and WHAM!  Another shocker, I found out about the death of my husband's nephew Talai.  "R.I.P Talai Livai".

Briskly I rolled the mouse and glimpsed at a couple of RIPs for Talai and immediately logged out.  Shook my head and assured myself that they're talking about uncle Talai.  My mother-in-law's brother.  But didn't uncle Talai died eons ago?  I thought sadly.  He did live in Tonga and must be a hundred years old so it's his time to go.  Not the young and vivacious Talai!   

That same evening my husband validated the FB statuses.  Young Talaiasi Livai died from a car crash.   After spearing me with an:  "Are you becoming senile woman" look as he mumbled vexingly,  "My uncle Talai died 10 years ago".  I realized how in denial I had been.  My heart broke for this young man and the abrupt way his life had ended.  Ache for his mother, Fatai, and what she must be going through trying to deal with this ordeal.  The death of her child.  So fresh, devastating and sad.  A grief, that I, can only imagine.

I love what Facebook does in ways of communications and delegations.  In sensitive cases, it would be nice to hear about it instead of reading about it. Not that there's too much difference, yet, it's that much of a difference that can soften the blows.  R.I.P Talaiasi Livai.  Until we meet again.  R.I.P Vena Finau. 

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your losses Sela...and the way you found out is hard. Almost surreal when you read it on FB....like "how can this really be happening?" Will pray for you and your husbands family. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh that truly is heartbreaking....Sooo sorry for your family's loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, what a tragic loss for your family. Such a difficult thing to deal with but learning about it online is even harder because it probably doesn't FEEL real. Many prayers for your and your family.

    ReplyDelete