Sunday, January 27, 2013

Remodeling and Rebuilding

Remodeling, rebuilding and renewing.  Not only of a house but also of relationships and family ties.  We are working on remodeling our eldest son's very first house.  It was given to them by his wife's parents.  The house is huge with 5 bedrooms, 3 living rooms and 2 1/2 baths.  It also needs are lot of work and we're all assisting in tearing down, patching up and painting.  

For years I've longed for a way to be closer to our son and his lovely wife and the Lord has provided us with the opportunity.  Of all things, it comes through rebuilding and remodeling a house.  We're all having a blast tearing down walls, patching up holes and painting over old paint.  Slowly do we see the results of our labor and it's beautiful.  In the process of doing all this, we're bonding once again with each others, especially our 3 oldest children as they've all grown and out of the house.  Now this house, is bringing us all back together again and I can't help but rejoice in this unexpected chance.

First, my daughter-in-law's pregnancy.  She's just gotten over her first trimester and she's been sick like a dog with IV at home and constant throwing up, cramps and loosing weight.  She was always a tiny little thing but tinier now because of a very rough pregnancy.  Sometimes my son would call me in the middle of the night seeking advice on how to curb throwing up.  I offer all the help I can get. 

Every one of the children are involved with some type of work.  So fun and rewarding.  It's not all dandy like that all the time though.  We disagree here and there on styles and colors.  What to leave up and what to take down. I'm learning so much about my daughter-in-law, she's a tiny little thing but full of big dreams, big ideas and opinions. Which adds to her uniqueness in her own way.  It's so funny watching them discuss, debate and agree to disagree on certain things in their first house.  Married right out of high school, they've come a long way since then.  Expecting their first child after 5 years of marriage.

My husband on the other hand, forgets sometimes that his sons are grown men.  No longer little boys to be told what to do all the time.  He gets ahead of himself and I'm there to bring him down!  LOL.  Hot tempered, loud and impatient.   The children are used to him though.

I find that joy comes from being with the ones you love the most.  Life is precious and sweet.  Nothing can replace time spend with the people you love.  Not money, not silver, gold nor any material things.  I've learned that happiness is indeed a state of mind and that things have no lasting effect in comparison to our relationships with one another.   My joy is full when I'm around my family.  Both my immediate family and my extended family.  I love them all. As we remodel our son's house, we're strengthening bonds and ties within our growing family circle. It's been a long time coming. 


2 comments:

  1. So beautiful, friend. I'm glad you have this chance to get closer to your older kids and your daughter in law.
    The memories you make will last a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree that joy comes from being with the ones you love the most! Thanks for sharing about your family.

    ReplyDelete