Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Forgotten Mother

I have an older friend that lives by herself in one of the condominiums down the street.  Sweet lady and yesterday she had asked me to come over for an afternoon chat for she was feeling a little lonely.  After saying good-bye to my grandchildren, I headed out to see her.  I'll just refer to her as "P".  We started talking about different things and naturally, our conversation took a turn to her family.  I asked her how many children she has and she said 3.  Reluctantly she admits that she hardly sees them.  For years now she hasn't even seen her oldest son Jason.  He lives up in the Day Break area.  Her daughter lives in West Jordan and another daughter in Hurricane Utah.  The daughter from West Jordan visits may be once every quarter and it's been years since she last seen her Jason.  Tears threaten her eyes and her voice a little shaky as she speaks of them.  I can see that she'd prefer to see them more often.

"P" was married in the temple and after 3 children, she left her husband and took off with another man.  She stated that the day she divorced her first husband, her son Jason decided to divorce her.  For years she became inactive in the church and an Alcoholic.  Married the second husband for about 13 years and he left her for another woman.  Now she lives alone, a recovering alcoholic and back in the church.  The ward members have been so wonderful to her.  Patient in working with her and joy is beyond measure now that she's back.  Her only dread now is her son Jason.  He had been a member of the Bishopric.  A member of the Stake Presidency and yet, hardly does he acknowledge his mother.  That she is still alive and getting old and that perhaps he can forgive her for what she did.

So many things boggled my mind.  She asked the question:  "Whatever happens to Honoring Thy Mother and Father".  I'm wondering, shouldn't Jason, by being this Spiritual leader, shouldn't he realize that it is a commandment to Honor Thy Father and Mother without any conditions.  Our Tongan culture does not allow us to abandon our elderly in a Rest Home or anyone else's home.  We take care of our own.  I'm reminded of something that Les Brown the motivational speaker said:  "Our mother took care of 10 children and she was only one.  Why can't 10 children take care of one mother..."  Something like that.  It is beyond me.

"P" is surrounded by so many good and loving people in the ward.  She's blessed to have a second chance.  Some people are not so blessed and at that age, pass on with no opportunity to redeem themselves.  That is sad.  Jason as "P" puts it, drives around his Jaguar and lives in what's known in Daybreak, "Campbell Palace".  Apparently, Jason is wealthy.  Not only in material things but also in Spiritual things.  The only thing that's lacking is that, he seems to have forgotten he still has a mother and she's still alive!

My younger brothers have had fall outs with our father.  Our father lives with my sister in Magna.  I make sure I do a weekly visit or more to see him and if he needs anything.  Sadly, my brothers have been indifferent and negligence towards my father which I find very very sad. I think I may have mentioned it before, a couple years ago.  One day I know they will regret not treating my father better then the way they are doing now.

No comments:

Post a Comment