Sunday, January 15, 2017

What Have You Done for Me?

Sundays are the only days I can make time to sit back and take a survey of what happened the week that just passed and what needs to be done in the week to come.  Last night we sang happy birthday to my dad.  He turned 77 years old  I count my blessings that he is still alive because I need to pay back some of those debts that I owe him.  I know they can never be repaid but I want to do something to make him proud of me.  Something outstanding.

Last night as we were returning from the birthday party, my husband told me of an incident that happened at my sister's house.  My BIL came and stopped my nephew from getting drunk outside the house and my nephew was cussing him out and blurted out this question:  "What have you ever done for me?"  His dad replied:  "I've done everything for you".

"What have you done for me?"

The question sounds self-centered, self-absorbed and selfish.  But what can one expect from someone that can't hold down a job, blames his parents for everything that happens to him and still lives under their roof, eating there food and drinking their water.  If he doesn't see what his dad or his parents have done for him, then he truly is blind and has become an ingrate thinking he's entitled to things without working for them.

My husband would not stand for this.  He'd have body slammed this son to the floor and whipped his behind.  Disrespect and degradation does now flow in my husband's book.  To see my BIL hold his patient is quite inspiring.  21 years old and still living at home and not lift a hand to help in paying and bills.  That is outrageous.  There's no kind of reciprocate in giving and taking.  Just in taking.

When raising my children, I wanted them to be independent when the time comes.  To be productive citizen and faithful members of our church.  Education has always been so important but for some reason, it went over the heads of the first 3 oldest kids.  None of them continues school after High School.  The younger 4 though, they are excited to continue school after high school.  Mahonrai will be leaving to Mesa for MCC.  Mele Vasiti is undecided which school she'll be going to between Mesa with her brother or to Wyoming.  We'll see. Pati is awaiting her papers to go on her mission and then come and continue school.  As for Bev, she's only a Sophomore.  She's trying to get a scholarship so she doesn't have to pay for school.  Hopefully everyone will be happy with their choices.

I pray that my nephew will find a way to get a life.   Quit being a drunk and a drug addict.  It's sad to see my sister and BIL go through this with their son.  The question should be asked:  'What have you done for yourself?".





No comments:

Post a Comment